Joe Ganley
Writing code since 1979
I have been a professional software engineer for over 10 years. I have written many kinds of software, but my particular strengths are interactive graphics applications, compilers and interpreters, and algorithms.

I also enjoy writing, woodworking, and home improvement. Also this.

Resumé

Email Me

Atom Feed

not from a security camera

 

 

Friday, March 29, 2002


This
simplified budget strategy is a great idea. The idea is that rather than budgeting for each individual category, which never works (partly because people don't follow them, and partly because individual-category spending fluctuates a lot), you just try to keep your spending on necessities down to 60% of your gross income. Of the remaining 40%, divide it evenly between retirement, long- and short-term saving, and "fun" -- i.e. non-necessity spending. This is much easier to track and follow than a "standard" budget, and also makes those category-spending fluctuations irrelevant, so long as the totals stay within bounds. Sadly, though, neither MS Money nor Quicken can handle this -- there's no way, at least that I can figure out, to easily have it show you your total spending over a bunch of categories, nor to warn you if that spending gets too high.

| permalink

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Features
The Long Now Foundation
The Long Now Foundation

Man-Bag Buying Guide
Man-Bag Buying Guide

Copyright (c) 1988-2004 by Joseph L. Ganley. All rights reserved except where otherwise noted.